Internationally, Gary Marx has delivered future-oriented presentations, done workshops, provided counsel, and worked with colleagues to strengthen civic education and public engagement. He has addressed a wide range of groups, ranging from educators and government leaders to students, citizen leaders, and news media representatives. He has spoken in all 50 U.S. states, across Canada and Mexico, and in countries on six continents.
Here is a snapshot of Gary Marx’ international assignments. For example, he has:
- Met in Germany with European and U.S. scholars to discuss European diversity and inclusion.
- Made presentations and conducted consultations on trends, issues, and civic engagement, including visualizing preferred futures across Argentina.
- Conferred with and addressed international civic education leaders in Moscow; Budapest; Amman; Warsaw; Buenos Aires; Cape Town; Jakarta; and in Casablanca and Ifrane, Morocco.
- Spoken and conducted workshops for educators in the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA/DoDDS) in Germany, Italy, and Japan.
- Keynoted conferences in Australia addressing societal trends and leadership.
- Met with and spoken to a broad range of educators, community leaders, and students across the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
- Served as a visiting scholar in Taiwan.
- Met with Civitas colleagues at the Council of Europe in Strasbourg, France, and in other countries as an original member of the Civitas International Board, initiated by the Center for Civic Education.
- Consulted with representatives of five Central Asian nations on democratization and civic education during a meeting in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- Spoken in the People’s Republic of China.
- Devoted time in Sarajevo, meeting and providing counsel on strengthening civic education and democracy in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Addressed a Western Hemisphere conference on democratization held in Mexico City and presented a series of programs and workshops in four Mexican cities.
- In Singapore, keynoted an edupreneur conference for the Ministry of Education at the Suntec Center.
- Addressed educators and other community leaders in Riga, Latvia, and Vilnius, Lithuania.
- During a Civitas World Congress in Palermo, Italy, learned how that city is fighting crime and corruption.
- Served as external evaluator for the Civitas International Civic Education Exchange Program which involves numerous countries and U.S. states. He has conducted on-site evaluations of key civic education, student and public engagement programs, in Senegal (west Africa), Eastern Russia (Vladivostok and Petropavlovsk), Peru (Lima and Cajamarca), Jordan, the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, and Romania.
Gary Marx retains a relationship with the United Nations Association of the USA and has initiated international projects with support from the Longview Foundation. He has appeared on television and radio broadcasts and has done print and electronic media interviews worldwide. As a futurist, he is expected to address a full range of trends and issues, including implications of massive societal trends. Marx also focuses on strengthening civil society and engaging people in helping create a more sustainable future in a fast-changing world.